Art Alliance Austin is commissioning up to four original art works to be developed, coordinated and executed during the Art City Austin Festival April 17-19, 2020, with funding up to $750 each. Any additional funds needed for the project need to be raised by the recipient to produce the work.
Submissions must be received by Art Alliance Austin by February 18, 2020.
Eligible artists/organizations are preferred to be in the Austin region. A committee of professionals will review and select the works that best reflect the legacy of the Festival. The selected recipients will be notified by February 1, 2020.
Opportunity sites for installation:
1. Main stage backdrop
2. Culinary stage backdrop
3. Festival entrance
4. 10×10 interactive/3D site-specific location
Submission Guidelines and Suggestions
- Any visual arts discipline
- Encouraging innovative and interactive art
- Targeting any demographic is acceptable; family-friendly is preferred
- Commemorate 70 years of the festival’s history and/or be culturally specific (some festival history is available on our website at artallianceaustin.org).
- You must be available to install work on April 15/16, 2020 at Republic Square
- Submission does not need to be fully completed work but should accurately represent the look and feel of the final piece
- Commission fee includes all supplies & materials; there are no additional funds available
- Installation and deinstallation are the responsibility of the artist
- Selected artists will be featured in all festival marketing materials, will receive the commission stipend, assistance onsite, and 2 VIP tickets to Art City Austin.Application Submission Information Required:
- Artist bio with contact information
- Complete description and design of work proposed – can be sketch/design
- Samples of Work: video link and/or photo samples demonstrating artistic quality (2 – 3 max)
- Budget details – not to exceed $750 stipendSUBMISSIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY January 25, 2020. Please email your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to PO Box 5705, Austin, TX, 78763.
Art City Austin 2020
2020 marks the 70th year of Art City Austin – the city’s’ 2nd oldest outdoor fair in Austin. The event showcases a highly curated selection of approximately 80 local and visiting visual artists exhibiting outdoors in the heart of the city April 17-19. This year Art City Austin will build on the success of 2019, incorporating more immersive experiences into the three-day festival happening at the beautifully renovated Republic Square. Art City Austin will offer the most diverse, thought- provoking and entertaining programming in its 70-year history while simultaneously acknowledging the artists, organizers, and supporters who have made this festival what it is today.
Art Alliance Austin
Art City Austin is the anchor event for Art Alliance Austin, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose long history and dedication to the visual arts has ensured that art and creativity have a place at the core of Austin. Art Alliance Austin supports and contributes to the growth, prominence, and sustainability of Austin’s art scene – ultimately contributing to Austin’s creative culture. For over 70 years, Art Alliance has worked collaboratively with artists, museums, curators, and galleries to create a diverse and powerful series of programming that highlights Austin as a visual arts capital including Pecha Kucha, ARTBASH, The Weekly e-newsletter, and Beyond the Bio Blog.
This year’s theme is VIVA FIESTA – a fusion of color, light, sound, taste and movement showcasing a diversity of art, mediums, people and perspectives, honoring the history and legacy of the origins of the festival (Fiesta, at Laguna Gloria).
Art Alliance Austin is not Responsible for Loss, Damage or Insurance Coverage. Art Alliance Austin shall not be responsible for safekeeping of artworks while they are in custody. AAA shall not be liable to the artist for their loss or damage (unless addition agreement signed by both artist and organization). If artist accepts load in or load out help from AAA volunteers, AAA assumes no responsibility for damage; artist accepts volunteer help at their own risk. The artist retains ownership of all intellectual property and physical property.
Examples of 2019 Commissioned Pieces
Music/artist talk stage
Festival entrance 2019
Site specific commissions 2019